USING TOOTHPICK… YES or NO
- People who have the habit of picking their teeth with a toothpick are at a higher risk of damaging their teeth and gums. Using a toothpick or pins to remove food stuck between the teeth can actually do more harm than good to your teeth. Using these toothpicks frequently leads to formation of gaps between the teeth. Then more and more food tends to accumulate in between the teeth which may further lead to bacterial overgrowth, thereby leading to formation of cavities, if not taken care of immediately, may grow and further damage the health of the teeth.
- Therefore a harsh habit of using a toothpick weakens the strength of the teeth.
- In some cases the healthy gums may get lacerated due to the use of these sharp objects further leading to gum problems.
- So what can we do instead of using toothpicks?
- Rinse the mouth with water every time after eating until the food stuck between the teeth comes out and the mouth is clean.
- A fine-threaded dental floss is the best way to remove food stuck in the spaces between the teeth.